It’s an ugly moment. You have just returned to your car after doing some few errands only to find a parking ticket at the windscreen of your car. Do not panic, start gathering evidence as to on the prevailing circumstances that led you to park at that position. Depending on the location, a parking ticket is more or less an offense of strict liability but one can still go ahead and successfully fight it. Note that when you show up in court and claim that you did not see the sign or that you had just parked a few meters away will have you convicted immediately. Remember that in law ignorance is not an admissible defense. You now need to find as much information as possible through reading and researching for you to fight a parking ticket. The following are some useful tips on how to fight a parking ticket in traffic court
- Ignore the ticket and wait till you receive a mail concerning the notice
- Wait till the last day to make a trial application
- Request for a trial and when you show up court in court, plead guilty of the offense
- Conduct a thorough research of all laws applicable
- Request for a disclosure
Follow the provided traffic court tips
Below are some of the ways on how to fight a parking ticket:
- Carefully study your ticket- Upon receiving the ticket, slowly but carefully examine where you are required to contest the parking ticket. Take note of deadlines if any. Failure to follow the rules on time may subject you to extra charges. Check if there are any possible mistakes while studying the ticket. It is possible for them to include the wrong car, wrong name, wrong location or time. In case you note a correction that is scribbled, query the reason.
- Familiarize yourself with the applicable local law- A ticket can be easily dismissed by using some traffic laws which act in your favor. For instance, there are some parking decrees which state that in a place where there is a curb painted red; one can park an unoccupied car. This also applies for a car parked at the front of a fire hydrant as it is argued that this is done for it to get a ticket.
- Current evidence- Evidence is very important when fighting a parking ticket. If there was an unclear language at the parking area, signs that are faded or missing, or the area was covered with thick vegetation, take a photo. While in court, present these to the judge and convince him of your plight in parking.
- Settle on an inconvenient date in court- This is a clever procedural scheme. It is very likely for the ticket to be thrown out in case the officer who issued the ticket does not appear in court.
- Cooperate to the very end- A fight against a parking ticket is usually an endurance test than a legal test to your knowledge. In case you want to go through the entire process tirelessly by appearing in court, writing mails and sending them to the complaint, you may get rewarded for your resilience. It is possible for your ticket to be reduced.
- Be honest, respectful and apologetic- Avoid being too argumentative and restrain yourself from attacking the credibility of the officers and just be humble. Just admit that you have learned a great lesson. Never lie to a judge as it is not only illegal but you will be ill viewed. Honesty and humility are virtues regarded highly.
More Helpful Tips Like This at Traffic CourtAnswers
Below is a sample letter on how to fight a parking ticket:
Mr. Karl Earnest
P.O Box 34567,
To whom it may concern,
Reference: Notice Number 28-Parking Ticket No P2505
I am here by writing to contest Parking ticket No P2505 that I received on 12th March 2015 stating that my car was parked adjacent to the Central Commercial Bank located in the Central District. I stand to officially challenge this ticket.
According to the 1991 Road Traffic Act, I did not contravene the law. This is because the area was covered with thick vegetation and there was no sign around.
Attached herewith are 5 photos of the concerned area as well as 2 witness testimonials to this statement
For these reasons aforementioned, I humbly request my ticket to be dismissed.