Sometimes in life, we all need a little legal assistance. There’s no need to think that every legal case turns into a TV docudrama, because the truth is that sometimes all we need is an expert legal perspective to solve a problem so we can move on. But how do you find and hire the right lawyer?
Finding the Right Lawyer
Finding the right lawyer can seem daunting, especially when there are so many law firms around. But you shouldn’t think that big law firms only ever deal with big criminal cases. A law firm is simply a team of dedicated lawyers working together, such as Maurice Blackburn Lawyers in Brisbane, and some of them might very well specialise in an area of law that is relevant to your case. Bearing this in mind, consider the following advice when locating a lawyer or law firm for your needs:
- What is your case about? Different lawyers specialise in different areas of law. If you need a divorce lawyer to handle your family disputes, you don’t need a personal injury lawyer. Even though all lawyers have a basic understanding of law and legal concepts in general, each lawyer specialises in a niche area of law.
- You might be surprised to find that family, friends or people you know have had dealings with a lawyer or law firm. Why not ask them if they would recommend them for your particular issue? Customer testimonials and word of mouth recommendations are a great way to locate a reputable law firm.
- If you can’t go on word of mouth referrals, why not try calling your local bar association instead? They will have a list of lawyers and their specialised areas of law, even if they cannot make a personal recommendation. This information alone can narrow down your search and make the entire process easier.
- Surprisingly, you can also contact your insurance company and chat with their legal department. You might associate your insurance company with only helping you if there’s a traffic incident, but they might also cover other areas of law.
- You can also turn to the web for some listings in your area. From there you can call each firm and ask some vital questions to determine if they are right for you and your case.
Asking the Right Questions
Once you’ve identified one or more law firms, you should call them directly and ask some questions. If they are willing to answer your questions openly and in a friendly manner, the chances are that they are focused on their clients. Consider asking the following questions:
- Do you have a lawyer who specialises in my case? Explain your case and make sure you ask this question up front. You should expect a confident answer.
- What are the guiding principles of your firm? Is the law firm focused on legal technicalities, its customers and/or big cases?
If you have not done it already, it’s now a good idea to call your local bar association for more information on the law firm. By following the advice on locating a law firm and asking the right questions, you can find the right lawyer for your needs.